April 14, 2008

"Poppy"

For those of you who truely know me this will come as a huge shocker! We are new owners of a 2 month old Shitzue (as if I don't already have enough things to do in a day). We did this solely for Jace's benefit. We've heard lots of stories about kids with autism or other disabilities who have really benefited from having their own pet with whom they can connect with. I really really do not like dogs (especially house dogs) so it has taken me a very long while to finally agree to this. So we've had him for two days and it hasn't been as bad as I anticipated. I think he's pretty adorable and Franks' truely in love.
We've named him "Poppy" because since this dog is for Jace we needed to name it something he could say. Puppy is really easy for him to say so we wanted to have something similar. At first we were just going to give our puppy the name Puppy, but I hated that idea so we did the next closest thing. I can already relate to people who think of their pets as people because only having him for three days I already think he's pretty special, especially if it makes the rest of the family so happy.


8 comments:

Jen said...

Congrats on the new addition to your family. I think that is awesome that you are doing this for Jace! I can't wait to hear how it goes! Good luck.

Cronin Family said...

What a cute dog! Let us know how Jace does with him.

Rolyndia said...

SO CUTE!!!! I love those little dogs. Hope it helps Jace out and you enjoy having a dog in the house.

Lindsay said...

I think it's great that you guys are doing that for Jace. I related a little bit to what you were saying because we have a dog that visits my kindergarten classroom every monday. My purpose was to give some of the kids that were having difficulty communicating, a way to connect with something. It has helped them each in indvidual ways. I bet all your kids are lovin' that cute dog :)

Lisa said...

Poppie is so cute!! We must come visit. All my boys talk about is how Frank took them to the pet store and why don't we go to the pet store!!

Bree said...

I am no dog lover either...if I ever post about getting a new dog it will probably be a shocker too!! But I must admit Poppy is so cute!!!! I bet the kids are loving it and hopefully it is a great thing for Jace!! So should we get a plan for this weekend?? We're excited!

Keysha said...

I am not into dogs myself, but I will do anything for my kids to be happy. And of course I know I will end up loving the little thing myself!

He looks like a cute little puppy! (Love the name!) Thankfully he will stay little!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kami! I am so glad to have found your blog! Your kids are adorable! It has been so long since I have seen or talked to you! How are you? Where you at now? Are you still in Rexburg?