April 27, 2009

I think it IS magic!




Life has been a lot more pleasant the last couple of weeks since the purchase of these two things (been having some power stuggles between a certain 3 year old girl in the house). It's the BEST $15.00 for a book and $2.87 for a timer ever spent. I encourage all to read this! It all makes such perfect sense and I"ve learned so much about parenting. The book completely called me out on making the "Little Adult Assumption" and using too much words and reasoning to talk with my child.
I can't believe what the power of a timer brings. The kids are quite obedient to it. For example....It's getting close to bedtime and the kids are outside.....So I'll bring the timer out and say "ten more minutes then it's bedtime business"...the timer will ring and they'll come running inside. Or it's dinner time and I'll set the timer for 20 minutes, set it in the middle of the table and say, "if you eat ALL your dinner by the time the ringer goes off you can have some dessert". It speaks for me! GET...THE...BOOK!!! I couldn't put it down.

11 comments:

lacey said...

Sweet! I will definitely have to check this book out, I need some help with Kylee!!

KEYSHA said...

Thanks for the recommendation. That reminds me a lot of "Love and Logic." They talk about how we 'reason' too much with our kids, when really they don't know reasoning at all....The timer is a big thing with them too...I am going to check this out. We are having some "power struggles" ourselves with a certain 4 and 2 year-old! Thanks for the post!

Annette said...

Thanks for the tip. My little 2 year old is becoming quite defiant. I'll have to check it out! I love the timer idea.

Julianne said...

Very interesting. We've been talking about how we want to discipline kids and we're at a loss (not that we'll ever have to discipline our PERFECT LITTLE ANGEL of a BABY BOY, right??), so I'm actually starting the hunt for good recommended books.

Taylor Family said...

Do I need to read the book or just use a timer? (J/K) I got the carseat on clearance. I guess it was last years model. I love a great deal.

Miriam said...

YES! This is perfect I have been asking everyone for good ideas or books on discipline advice...just to have a plan in mind!! THANKS!

leslie m. said...

I am glad it worked for you. I loved it the first time I read it too.

Emily said...

Thanks. I have been looking for something new!

Janae said...

I just bought it! I've been struggling with disciplining my kids. Thanks for the tips--I sure hope this helps my sanity and theirs!

Rolyndia said...

I am going to look for it now. I could use this with my boys. Thanks for sharing it.

Kate Perkes said...

Thanks Kam, I am loosing my mind. I feel like nothing I am doing is working. Everyone in my house is going through some sort of "phase" of one kind or another. (Just in time for a new baby! Hurray!) So at my whits end I am going to try this and pray that it works.
Thanks for the tip!