Most mom's would get excited when they see a crowded playground. They see it as a great opportunity for their kids to mingle, make new friends, and feel relieved they don't have to be the one running up and down and all around. But when I pull up to a park and see other families running about it makes me cringe. I've told my kids that we're going to the park so there's appsolutely no turning back. So as I'm unbuckling them from there seatbelts I'm mentally preparing myself for an hour of "I'm sorry's" and "Oh, excuse him's" and "My son has autism so thats why.....". Like today- I wanted to take advantage of the nice weather so we set off. We pull up to the large playground and it's empty. Perfect! I came at just the right time. We're only 5 minutes into it and here comes a family of two boys (apprx. ages 6 and 8). Jace always gets sooooo excited when he sees other kids (especially strangers) so of coarse they get a hug and kiss from him. "Dude, your crazy", was the response from the older boy. A few minutes later I hear the other one say to him "I can't understand anything you're saying". While only a few minutes later another family comes with a boy and a girl (again, about 6 and 8) who get the same greating from Jace. The girl runs back to her mom and says, "Mom, that boy just hugged me and he doesn't even know me". Meanwhile Jace is in absolute heaven chasing these kids around but they countinue to make comments with an underliying tone of him being "weird". So even though Jace is completely innocent with what is being said towards him, my heart is just breaking. If only those kids knew how special Jace is they would be welcoming those hugs with open arms. I pray that he will never know how different he is from the other kids. I love this story and I realize it can be related to many things in our life, regardless if we have a child with special needs.
Welcome to Holland
byEmily Perl Kingsley
I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability – to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It’s like this…When you’re going to have a baby, it’s like planning a fabulous vacation trip – to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It’s all very exciting.After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, “Welcome to Holland.”“Holland?!?” you say. “What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I’m supposed to be in Italy. All my life I’ve dreamed of going to Italy.”But there’s been a change in the flight plan. They’ve landed in Holland and there you must stay.The important thing is that they haven’t taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It’s just a different place.So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met. It’s just a different place. It’s slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you’ve been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around… and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills… and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy… and they’re all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say, “Yes, that’s where I was supposed to go. That’s what I had planned.”And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away… because the loss of that dream is a very, very significant loss.But… if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn’t get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things… about Holland.
Life is not easy no matter what our situations are and we are going to have many "cringing" moments with Jace, but honestly I feel so lucky to have him. Jace has nothing to prove on this earth. He's already garaunteed himself a spot in Heaven. And who doesn't want that for their kids?! Frank and I always say that everyone needs a child with autism because you are quickly humbled from the ideal life. I did not add this blog for a pitty party. It's just been one-of-those-days and I needed to vent. Thanks:-)
April 26, 2008
Welcome to Holland!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)















12 comments:
Thanks for the story. Jase is such a fun little guy!!! i love his hugs
It's sad that kids can't just be nice regardless of who they interact with. it's sad to think just cause someone wanted to give them a hug they automatically think he's weird. Jace is a sweet little boy and I love having him in primary!
I loved the story about Holland. So true it is! Jace is one of the cutest (and you are absolutely right) MOST special little boys there are, and those who matter will realize it. I am sure that even with all the extra hardships and trials, come many great blessings for your family. I think you are a wonderful mom and I admire you and Frank so much for the great job you are doing as parents to those cuties of yours!
Kami that just brakes my heart some children don't understand how special Jace is. This makes me want to impress upon my children the importance of being kind to everyone. Thank you.
That was such a sweet post, Kami. My little heart hurt too just thinking of those kids not understanding how sweet & special Jace is. James & I admire you & Frank so much for your faith, strength and positive attitude. I really liked that story too, sure puts things in perspective. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for sharing Kami. We all go through hard times, (Expecting Italy and finding Holland) but it is so true is to find what is special where we are. Thanks for that story, I can relate it to my own life right now. Love you.
Kami thanks for the post! I needed to read that today and I love and admire your optimism! Thanks Again!
Thanks for the story Kami. I think it is good for you to vent sometimes. You have a lot on your plate and handle it a whole lot better than I would. Kids can be cruel and it is true that we need to teach them to accept others as they are. I have been trying to come up with a family home evening packet idea and I think that would be a good one. See good things come from venting. Thanks.
Kami, thanks for the post. I think it's a reminder that none of us get exactly what we planned for in life. We should be grateful and thankful for what we do have....You are such a neat mother, and handle yourself with such grace. I honestly don't think I have ever heard you raise your voice at your kids, and that is something I truly am impressed by! I wish Jace lived a little closer to me so I could get some of those hugs!
I've heard that story before...it's a good one. I love Jace and he is a special little boy, and I think you're a pretty special mom too. I want to be like you when I grow up!! We had so much fun today at the park and I did receive lots of hugs...which I enjoyed!!! He is welcome to come play whenever, well at least for the next 2 weeks :( I'm so sad you're leaving us.
Wow, that really put things in perspective for me, too. It's so sad that kids have to be rude to each other, and something as great as getting a hug has to be "wierd." You guys are such great parents! We have a niece with Down Syndrome, and although she is hard work for her parents, she is also so rewarding and refreshing in so many ways, and I'd imagine that's how you guys feel with Jace. Those of us that know children with disabilities DO know how special they are, and are grateful we're blessed enough to be close with them! Give that little Jace a hug for me - I'd gladly take one!
This is so true...i could relate it to me sweet 7 year old sister who has SEVERE ADHD and my mom has been struggling with it. For her, she knows enough to realize that she is different and it MORTIFIES her. She is so afraid of her friend finding out she's mormon because it will make her more different. What a special person she is and I really admire you and Frank for what you're doing. I think that you're also being guartenteed a spot it heaven!
Post a Comment