March 17, 2008

Time Out For Women





It's been a few weeks since I went to the wonderful Time Out For Women conference in Idaho Falls, but I still want to leave some comments about it. It was soooooo nice to take some "time-out" for myself and enjoy what the speakers had to say. My favorite speaker (and she was my favorite speaker when I went to TOFW a couple years ago) was Emily Watts. She talked about "motherguilt", that nagging feeling that somehow everything that goes wrong is our fault. She just really took a load off my shoulders because I'm always feeling that because Livi did "this" or Jace did "that" wrong is because I'm not being a good enough mother. Well, Sister Watts really made me feel better about myself and now I know that motherhood is NOT a work of guilt. She talked about hardships in our life and quoted this from the church author Roderick, "The gospel of Jesus Christ is not insurance against pain, it is a resource to deal with the pain". That is so true! I just loved everything that was said! TOFW will definitely be an annual event for me.

One of the neatest things happened during the program. Emily Watts came out on stage and said that they had received a couple letters from people that had written in to tell of someone they knew that showed living a joyful life. She started reading this letter and I turned to my friend, Kate, and was thinking to myself "that persons sounds like me" and then I knew from the look on her face that is WAS me. Kate was so kind to have taken the time to write in to TOFW and share to them about me. Sister Watts read the letter out loud and then had me stand up and the whole auditorium of 1,800 people applauded. It was so cool. But, what this experience really proves is what kind of person Kate it. You're such a neat friend- thank you. Here's what Kate wrote in about me.....(regardless if any of it's true, it still made me feel good as you can imagine)

"When I think of someone who exemplifies living a JOYFUL LIFE, my friend is the first person that comes to mind. She lost both her parents at a very young age. She and her 4 brothers were raised in a humble little home by her loving aunt and uncle (who already had 5 children of their own). Amidst all the struggles in her life, she finds joy in her family of 3 children and her husband. When her son was diagnosed with Autism last year, though she was devastated by the news, she looked at the challenge before her with such optimism. She took the reality of the situation, and from that moment she was determined to fight for her son. She has so much patience and she is so calm in situations where most mothers would lose it. She amazes me. My friend always has a smile on her face, she never thinks her life is unfair and I want to give her a “shout out” for her amazing example of strength, courage and a JOYFUL LIFE!"

5 comments:

Erin L said...

I think I have a bad case of "mother guilt." and "wife guilt." Thanks for sharing, it was inspiring.

Bree said...

That is so awesome! I also appreciate your positive attitude and awesome example as a mom! I'm sad I wasn't able to go with you girls, sounds like I missed out on some amazing stuff! Maybe next year! :)

Candi said...

Kami,
I feel the same way as your friend. You are an example to me. I am amazed at the woman you have become. I feel lucky to have you as my sister.
Love you.

Lisa said...

I wish I could have gone. It's so nice to get a spiritual boost...something I don't always get being in primary!!

MikeG Family said...

Wow - I didn't know about your parents or about Jace. You really are such a strong person, and I'm glad I know you, too! I went to TOWF two years ago with my sisters, and it is such a wonderful event. It's something we're doing again in September, and I think everyone should experience it at least once in their lifetime. You walk away with such a renewed attitude about life and about motherhood and the tasks before you, and it's very uplifting. Thanks for getting me excited to be going again!